- Henry Schultz Distinguished Service Professor, University of Chicago
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- B.A. 1965 (Math) Colorado College (summa cum laude)
- M.A. 1968 (Econ) Princeton University
- Ph.D. 1971 (Econ) Princeton University
Awards and Honors
- University of Chicago, Henry Schultz Distinguished Service Professor, 1995—.
- USC Presidential Scholar-in-Residence, Leonard D. Schaeffer Center for Health Policy and Economics, 2015—.
- Research Fellow at the Institute for Fiscal Sciences (IFS), 2014—.
- University College Dublin, Professor of Science and Society, 2005-2014.
- American Bar Foundation, Senior Research Fellow, 1991—.
- Alfred Cowles Distinguished Visiting Professor, Cowles Foundation, 2008-2011
- Peking University, Changjiang River Scholar Professor, 2004-2008.
- University College London, Distinguished Chair of Microeconometrics, 2004-2008.
- Yale University, A. Whitney Griswold Professor of Economics, 1988-1990.
- Alfred Cowles Distinguished Visiting Professor, Cowles Foundation, 2008-2011.
- National Bureau of Economic Research Fellow, 1971-1986, 1987—.
- President, Western Economics Association, 2003.
- Member, Executive Council, American Economics Association, 2004-2007
- Council, Econometric Society, 2000-2006.
- Bank of Sweden Prize in Economic Sciences in Honor of the Memory of Alfred Nobel, 2000.
- Distinguished Fellow of the American Economic Association. April, 2017
- Dan David Prize for Combating Poverty, Tel Aviv University. May, 2016.
- James Madison Medal for Distinguished Graduate Alumni, Princeton University. February, 2016.
- Frisch Medal, Econometric Society, 2014.
- Distinguished Contributions to Public Policy for Children Award, Society for Research in Child Development, 2009.
- Gold Medal of the President of the Italian Republic, Awarded by the International Scientific Committee of the Pio Manzu Centre, 2008.
- Sun Yefang Economic Science Award, 2007.
- Dennis J. Aigner Award for Applied Econometrics, Journal of Econometrics, 2005 and 2007.
- Ulysses Medal, University College Dublin, 2006.
- Jacob Mincer Award for Lifetime Achievement, Society of Labor Economics, 2005.
- John Bates Clark Medal, 1983.
- Fellow: Econometric Society, 1980—; American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 1985—; Elected Member, National Academy of Sciences, 1992—; American Statistical Association, 2001—; Journal of Econometrics, 2005—; Society of Labor Economics, 2005—; Resident Member, American Philosophical Society, 2008—; Fellow, International Statistical Institute, 2008—; American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2009—; Lifetime Member, Irish Economic Association, 2009—; Member, National Academy of Education, 2010—; Honorary Academician, Academia Sinica, Republic of China/Taiwan, July 2010; Corresponding Member, Brazilian Academy of Sciences, 2011; Fellow, The Society for Economic Measurement, 2013.