- B.S., University of London (1957)
- Ph.D.(Philosophy), University of London (1965)
- Research Lab, International Telephone and Telegraph Corporation (1960)
- Chair Professor/Professor (Electronic Engineering), The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Chief Scientist (1974)/Engineer President/Administration Scientist (1982) of International Telephone and Telegraph Corporation
- President of Research Administration (1986)
- President of The Chinese University of Hong Kong (1987-1996)
- Academician of Academia Sinica
- Chief/President of Research Administration, Transtech Services Group Ltd. (1996-2000)
Awards and Honors
- Optical Fiber Communication
- Franklin Medal, Franklin Institute, U.S.A.
- L.M. Ericsson Prize, Sweden
- Alexander. Graham Bell Medal, I.E.E.E., U.S.A.
- Member, U.S. National Academy of Engineering (1990)
- Fellow, Royal Society, U.K. (1997)
- Marconi International Scientist Award, Marconi Foundation, U.S.A.
- Faraday Medal, Institution of Electrical Engineers, England
- Academician, Academia Sinica, Taiwan (1992)
- 12th Japan Prize (1996)
- Charles Stark Draper Prize, National Academy of Engineering, U.S.A. (1999)
- Nobel Prize in Physics (2009)