- Paul Licht Distinguished Professor in Biology, Dept. of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley
- B.S., Physics, Tsinghua University, Taiwan (1970)
- Ph.D., Biophysics, Johns Hopkins University (1974)
- 1974-1976: Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Biological Sciences, Purdue University.
- 1976-1985: Assistant, Associate, Full Professor, Dept. of Physiology and Biophysics, Univ. Calif. at Irvine.
- 1985-1988: Research Professor, Section of Molecular Neurobiology, Yale Univ. School of Medicine.
- 1988-1995: Professor, Dept. of Biological Sciences, Columbia University.
- 1996-2000: Stephen W. Kuffler Professor in Neurobiology, Dept. of Biology, Univ. Calif. San Diego.
- 1999—: Director, Institute of Neuroscience, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai.
- 2000-2005: Professor of Neurobiology, Class of 1933 Chair in Biological Sciences, U.C. Berkeley.
- 2002-2007: Head, Division of Neurobiology, Dept. of Molecular and Cell Biology, U.C. Berkeley.
- 2005—: Paul Licht Distinguished Professor in Biology, U. C. Berkeley.
Awards and Honors
- Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience
- Academician, Academia Sinica, R.O.C. (2000)
- Ameritec Prize (2001)
- Docteur Honoris Causa, Ecole Normale Superieure, Paris (2003), Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (2014)
- International Science and Technology Cooperation Award of China (2005)
- Member, U.S. National Academy of Sciences (2009)
- Foreign Member, Chinese Academy of Sciences (2011)
- Member, Academy of Sciences of Hong Kong (2014)
- Gruber Neuroscience Prize (2016)