- Emerita Professor, Columbia University
- B.A. Tunghai Univeristy, 1959, English Literature
- M.A. Smith College, 1961, English Literature
- Ph.D. Columbia University, 1973, Religion
- Rutgers University, Department of Religion, 1972-73: Lecturer; 1973-79: Assistant Professor; 1979-92: Associate Professor; 1992-2003: Professor I; 2003-04: Professor II; 2000-04: Department Chair; 2004-present: Emerita Professor.
- Columbia University, Department of Religion, 2004-07: Professor; Department of Religion and Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures, 2007-13: Sheng Yen Professor of Chinese Buddhist Studies. 2013-present: Emerita Professor.
- The University of Chicago, 2003 Spring Quarter: The Numata Visiting Professor in Buddhist Studies.
- National Chengchi University, Institute of Religious Studies, 2013-14: Sheng Yen Professor in Chinese Buddhist Studies.
Awards and Honors
- Religious Studies, Chinese Buddhism
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude Valedictorian, Tunghai University, Taiwan, 1959.
- Full Scholarship, Smith College, 1959-61.
- President's Fellow, Columbia University, 1963-64.
- National Defense Fellow for Japanese Language Study, Columbia University, 1964-67.
- National Defense Fellow for dissertation research, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan, 1967-69.
- Rutgers Research Council Research Grant, Summer 1974, 1975-76, Spring term, 1977, 1981-84; Summer, 1985, 1987-90. FAS Research Grant 1996-99.
- American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS) Research Grant in Chinese Civilization, January-December, 1977.
- National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) Research Grant, Fall 1979.
- Bunting Fellow, Bunting Institute, Radcliffe College, Spring, 1980.
- ACLS-SSRC Research Grant in Chinese Civilization, 1985-86.
- CSCPRC National Program Scholar, 1986-87.
- East Asian Humanities Grant, NJ Department of Higher Education, 1988-89 (Co-investigator and co-director).
- Pacific Cultural Foundation Grant, 1992.
- National Endowment of Humanities Fellowship for University Teachers 1993-94.
- Gaya Buddhist Foundation of Taiwan Research Grant, 1997-98.
- Committee on Scholarly Exchange with China, ACLS, sponsorship of Chinese Fellow (Yao Chongxin, 2004-05)
- Inducted into the Society of Senior Scholars, Columbia University, 2012-