- Director of Center for Power Electronics Systems, University Distinguished Professor; Electrical and Computer Engineering, Virginia Tech.
- Ph.D. (1974), Duke University
- Academic experiences:
- Virginia Tech:
- Assistant Professor (1977-80); Associate Professor (1980-83); Professor (1983-86); J.S. Tucker Professor (1986-95); L. Hester Engineering Chair (1995-98); UDP (1999-2017)
- Founder and Director, Virginia Power Electronics Center and the Industry partnership Program (1983-97)
- Director, Technology Development Center, Virginia Center for Innovative Technology (1987-97)
- Founder and Director, Center for Power Electronics Systems (CPES); NSF ERC (1998-2017)
- Industry experiences:
- Member of Technical Staff, TRW (1974-77)
- Founder and Chairman of the Board, VPT (1992-2009)
- President, IEEE Power Electronics Society (1993-94)
- Member of the Technology Advisory Board, Delta Electronics (2002-present), Silergy.
- Member of the Board, Delta Environmental and Educational Foundation (2002-present), in charge of its China Science and Education Program since 1999.
- Member of the Board, Delta Electronics (2003-2018), NEM, Cyntec, VTIP, Artesyn, Zytec
- Member of the IEEE Power Electronics Society, Industry Applications Society, Industrial Electronics Society
Awards and Honors
- Power electronics, analog electronics, and high-frequency power conversion and system integration technologies
- IEEE William E. Newell Power Electronics Award (1988)
- PCIM (Power Conversion and Intelligent Motion) Arthur E. Fury Award (1998), for Leadership in Innovation and in Promoting Power Electronics System Technology
- PCIM Award for Leadership in Power Electronics Education (1990)
- Fellow of IEEE (1990)
- Alumni Award for Research Excellence, Virginia Tech (1990)
- Honorary Sun Yuen Chuan Chair Professor, National Tsing Hua University (2001)
- Outstanding Alumni Award, National Cheng Kung University (2004)
- Ernst-Blickle Award, SEW-Euro Drive Foundation (2005)
- Member of the US National Academy of Engineering (2011)
- Honorary Li Kwoh-Ting Chair Professor, National Cheng Kung University (2011)
- Inducted into VirginiaTech Faculty Entrepreneur Hall of Fame, 1st class inductee.
- Chinese Academy of Engineering, Foreign member (2013)
- IEEE Medal in Power Engineering (2015)
- Member of the US Academy of Inventors (2017)
- Honorary Professor: Zhejiang Univ., Shanghai Univ., Nanjing Aeronautical and Astronautic Univ., Tsinghua Univ., Hua Zhong University of Science and Technology, Harbin Institute of Technology, Xi-An Jiao-Tong Univ., Beijing Jiao-Tong Univ., Shanghai Jiao-Tong Univ., National Chiao Tung Univ., Hefei Industry Technology Univ.