- B.S. Chiaotung University's Tangshan, Hebei campus (present-day Southwest Jiaotong University)(1933)
- M.S., Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology（1936）
- Ph. D., University of Michigan（1953）
Awards and Honors
- Professor, TsingHua University in Beijing（1937-1939）
- Professor, University of Detroit（1949-1955）
- Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering, UCLA
- Winner of Chinese National Fellowship to study in U.S. through a highly competitive examination, 1933.
- • Medal for designing and fabrication of the first Chinese twin-engined airplane successfully test flown from Chungking to Chengdu, China, Nov. 18, 1944.
- • 1988 Theodore Von Karman Medal by ASCE for developing the Micromechanic Theory of Plasticity and the Micromechanics Theory of Fatigue Crack Initiation. This medal has been presented to one internationally renowned mechanician each year since 1960. Previous recipients of this award includes solid mechanicians Willian Prager, R.D. Mindlin, N.M. Newmark, G.I. Taylor, R. Hill, D.C. Drucher, and other renowned mechanicians.
- • Member of National Academy of Engineering, 1990.
- • Academician of Academica Sinica, 1996.
- • Academician of Chinese Academy of Engineering, 1996.